Comes a Horseman – 1978 Pakula
- It seems like an odd choice to make a Western (albeit a 20th century-set western) after the paranoia trilogy of klute, parallax view, and all the president’s men. Pakula seems freed of the dark city and there are a lot of gorgeous long shots showing off the landscape photography (of Gordon Willis) here.
- Like most of Pakula’s work it does feature a corrupt system of power- and Robards plays the evil patriarch very well- like he would do several times in his career (magnolia amongst others)
- Nomination for Richard Farnsworth here- He’s excellent as is Jane Fonda and Robards—Caan isn’t bad just not as strong as the other 3
- Fonda is superb at playing a bitch- sign of a very good actor
- Not sure anyone has looked as natural chewing tobacco as Richard Farnsworth
- There are a lot of exterior shots but also some gorgeous silhouette shots from the master of darkness dp willis here
- It’s not at or near the top 10 of 1978 but it’s in my archives