Skip to content
Robin and Marian – 1976 Lester
- Even with the title, Lester is aiming for a very unsexy (Connery looking gruff and ruggedly handsome without wearing underwear) and demythologized take on Robin Hood.
- It is the first role for Audrey in 8 years. She has tremendous chemistry with Connery here- both are excellent
- It’s a film filled with larger than life titanic actors and performances. Connery and Hepburn are there of course but we have Richard Harris, Robert Shaw (two of the greatest scene chewers in film history), Ian Holm perfectly cast as King John, and Nicol Williamson is great as well.
- Connery vs. Shaw is like from Russia with love rivals from bond series
- It’s a very sad film- a meditations death
- Strong visualizations and set pieces- the opening castle set pieces, the funeral of king Richard with the walk up the cavernous mountain
- Harris gives an all-time 10 minute performances- he’s large enough for this role. He’s sort of Peter O’toole like in his brash and grandness.
- John Barry score- rousing but not as ideal a match as his work is for out of Africa and dances with wolves . It’s great in the scene setting but a little overbearing in the action sequences
- Recommend but not in the top 10 of 1976