Skip to content
Scandal – 1950 Kurosawa
- A step back after Stray Dog, Kurosawa’s previous film. And of course this is the film directly before Rashomon.
- Montage heavy first 15 minutes- low ASL (average shot length)
- A very nice tracking shot at 65 minutes with Shimura looking in at his daughter and Mifune and Shirley Yamaguchi character framed by the windows
- There are some really strong shots with Kurosawa obstructing and designing the frame at the New Year’s Eve party
- At 89 minutes Mifune is kneeling parallel to the screen with the two women perfected blocked and framed on the sides of him- a superb depth of field Welles/Wyler shot
- Almost immediately following that is a shot with Mifune’s motorcycle in the foreground and the two women in the deep background framed well
- The story is messy- not sure what it wants to be but it doesn’t succeed as a drama with a sick child, doesn’t succeed as a love story, or as a courtroom drama.
- Recommend but fringy- not in the top 25 or so of 1950