- Carlo Mirabella-Davis’s Swallow is one of the most promising debuts in recent years (this side of Columbus or Hereditary maybe).
- Haley Bennett plays Hunter— a housewife (and soon to be mother) dealing with (or rather not dealing with) a psychologically complex past and trapped in a suffocating life/marriage she can’t get out of. It is clear from the outset with Mirabella-Davis’ meticulously designed and cleaned interiors (they’re stunning) and overhead shots of an unhealthy amount of detail put into the meal preparation– that she is ailing
- The film seems like a spiritual cousin (nephew maybe given the generation difference) to Todd Haynes’ brilliant 1995 film Safe with Julianne Moore. The security guard hired by the family to watch Bennett’s Hunter even says “ you are safe here” to her as she hides under the bed
- The visuals are sublime—just a few highlights here:
- The drapes in the movie theater- spectacularly bold choices
- A reoccurring formal shot is Bennett pausing in front of the wall of windows in their home (it is hard not to think of Bong’s Parasite here) —all alone and trapped in silhouette
- A disturbing tale of body horror- and a battle for body control
- The film does trail off a little in the last half hour—probably keeping the film from the must-see or masterpiece level but even in the bathroom near the end the color of the tiles match her sweatshirt
- Highly Recommend/ Must-See border film
Great write up, I’ve been putting this one off but it just rocketed up my list. 2019 was already stacked – and now another top 10 quality film that may not even crack the year’s top 10. Phew.
@Declan- let me know what you think when you get to it. And yes- 2019 is already overflowing– I wish some of these would actually be 2020 films to round out that top 10 but I guess it doesn’t really matter at the end of the day
Am I the only one who is blocked from commenting on the site? haha
I tried on multiple devices and it got error.
Oh yeah, I made it, but the 12 angry men page prevents me from commenting.
apparently that particular review is blocking my comments
@Aldo- I’m sorry you’re having issues- I’m not blocking it
Yeah, apparently it’s only on that particular page (12 angry men).
I thought you had already banned me haha
I’ll try later, this is the message that appears :
Oops, This Page Could Not Be Found! 404
I can only think of what kind of crazy shit some people have to say to get banned haha.
I have seen that message before. I don’t know exactly what might have occurred in your case. Did you write a long comment? That message has come up before when I have written very long comments, at which point I have had to split the comment in pieces so it can fit. I think there may be other things that cause the site to automatically reject the comment. I think that for ones with many links, it will wait for Drake’s approval before it appears to the public. I think there may be other things that cause the site to automatically reject a comment.
@Graham and @Aldo- sometimes if you include a link it’ll go into spam and I won’t catch it. First time commenters have to be approved (I get some crazy stuff) and I’ve heard before long comments can get rejected. Sorry. the only other thing I can think of is if you hit submit at the exact same time as someone– again- sorry– frustrating. I’ll see what I can do