Skip to content
The Death of Dick Long – 2019 Scheinert
- In a small town in Alabama, three friends have a wild night together “You’ll wanna get weird?” (weird indeed is the shot above) where one of the three dies. A bizarre but strong mystery follows.
- As the A24 logo that opens the film would suggest, The Death of Dick Long is a very inventive work.
- The film playfully leans not only into its southern small town surroundings, but also the early 2000s music refences for Zeke (Michael Abbott Jr.) and the constantly vaping Earl (Andre Hyland) with Papa Roach, Lincoln Park, Creed and Nickleback in the mix.
- Between the bumbling inept criminals and hilariously unconventional sheriffs (one old drinking Malibu rum constantly, one overweight and timid) Daniel Scheinert does seem to owe a debt of gratitude to Fargo and the Coen Brothers. 2019’s Blow the Man Down seems like a close cousin as well.
- The dialogue writing is terrific “as in…an equine?” – the Band’s name is Pink Freud.- “death by misadventure”
- Recommend but not in the top 10 of 2019