Skip to content
The Miseducation of Cameron Post – 2018 Akhavan
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post is probably best remembered (aside from that magnificent title taken from Lauren Hill’s famous album name) as one of the two 2018 movies about high school teens being forced to submit to LGBT conversion therapy. The other being Joel Edgerton’s Boy Erased.
- Set in 1993
- Handsome small cursive titles during the opening credits.
- Director Desiree Akhavan opens the film with a montage of young faces getting lectured- this is a compelling drama.
- Chloë Grace Moretz plays the titular Cameron—and it is great to see Sasha Lane from Andrea Arnold’s American Honey (2016) find a role that suits her talents as Jane- one of the other teenagers at this little camp/prison.
- Akhavan uses surrealism sequences to tell Cameron’s backstory in flashbacks (and fantasies)
- There is a longer take final shot of Cameron, Jane and Adam (Forrest Goodluck- best known as the son of DiCaprio’s character in The Revenant– 2015) escaping the camp/prison in the back of a truck
- Recommend but a marginal one- not in the top 30 or so of 2018